Saturday, May 28, 2011

30 Days of Slow Carb

So, I’ve gone up and down since I last posted. I mean, in terms of eating right and exercising. I haven’t been paying attention to my weight.

For the month of June, I’m going to try to stick with Timothy Ferriss’ slow-carb diet. 30 days. I’m going to make Thursdays my binge days, because that’s when Whole Foods has $9.99 large pizzas. I found this diet difficult as a vegan, but I’m going to give it a shot again, because I’ve really been lacking in energy and motivation, and I feel like I need to challenge myself if I’m going to stick with it.

I will also have an exercise routine that includes at least 20 minutes of cardio a day, but I think I’ll save that for a later post.

I will now summarize the diet from Ferriss’ 4-Hour Body both for your edification and as a set of guidelines for me to more easily recall.

Rule #1:

No white carbohydrates – bread, rice, cereal, potatoes, pasta, tortillas, and fried food with breading. (What about oatmeal? I’m thinking no…)

Rule #2:

Eat the same meals repeatedly-

Protein, legume, vegetables

· Tofu, tempeh, seitan

· Lentils, black beans, pinto beans, red beans, soy beans

· Spinach, mixed vegetables, sauerkraut/kimchee, asparagus, peas, broccoli, green beans

I substituted low-carb vegan proteins here for the animal products in the book. The last time I tried this diet I ate little more than meals of cubed tempeh, black beans, and mixed greens (collard, turnip, mustard) with sauerkraut. I want to try it with canned spinach to eliminate the need for cooking and the problem of greens going bad quickly.

But yeah, I haven’t been eating well lately, and simplifying my diet would be a good idea. I like the concept of creating the “perfect meal” and I think I was close with my tempeh combo.

Rule #3:

No liquid calories; just water, tea, and coffee

Rule #4:

No fruit (except tomatoes and avocadoes)

Rule #5:

Take a day off once a week. Eat whatever you want on that day. As I said earlier, I decided on Thursday purely to make the most of Whole Foods pizza.

And that’s it. I am going to do a nutritional breakdown of my tempeh meal and any other meals I come up with to make sure I’m getting enough calories. That was probably my biggest problem the last time I tried this. You have to eat a lot of this stuff to meet your nutritional needs.


I highly recommend buying Ferriss’ book. You can get it on Amazon and most large bookstores. Lots of good stuff in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment