Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Pretending to be Muslim

It's 13 minutes until dawn, so I've been up for almost an hour, eating and drinking what I can. Last night all I ate was french fries and Gardetto's. I'm working all this out, but for the moment I am observing Ramadan.

To heighten the experience, I listened to Islamic podcasts all day at work. I probably won't be drinking any alcohol during this month, and I guess I'll try to do some other Muslim things. Already I've noticed I have increased empathy for Muslim people engaged in revolutionary struggles in the Middle East, which is what happened the last time I tried this experiment in 2001. That year it was Nov. 16 - Dec. 11, and I did it out of solidarity with Muslims after the irrational backlash against the community in the wake of the 9/11 attacks.

Back to the moment, I need to drink more water. I realize I should down at least 32 oz. both AM and PM. Ugh, I was not that thirsty. Bleh. I'll probably be thanking myself later though.

No comments:

Post a Comment